The sheer amount of photography related material, links, blogs and fodder that flies around the Twitter world ever day is simply astounding. You could literally sit in front of your computer all day long reloading tweets and still not learn everything there is to know about photography news, events, tips, techniques or see the millions of great images that people post every day.
Of course, no one wants to do that, so what’s the best way to follow along with the pertinent info while still getting any work done and maintaining a life outside of computertwitterworldland?
Simple. You follow the right group of Twitterers. Here’s a list of some of the people that you should be following if you want to stay updated about the world of photography. You’re probably already following some, if not all of them. This list is by no means close to complete, and if you find a great Twitter resource, be sure and post it in the comment section below.
And of course, it goes without saying that you should be also following The Photoletariat.
1. photojack: I put him first because he seems to have earned a place as one of the most prolific photo-tweeters. (The rest are in no particular order.) Travel photographer and social media coach Jack Hollingsworth seems to have his mouse finger on the pulse of the photography world. He posts an astounding amount of material each day, and if you happen to have something retweeted by him, it will be seen by a huge number of people.
2. chasejarvis: One of the highest read photo bloggers and twitterers on the web, Seattle based commercial photographer Chase Jarvis posts a variety of industry fodder, introspective blurbs and inspirational tips that any shooter would find interesting. With over 42,000 followers, he’s probably the most read photographer on Twitter.
3. thephotoargus: The Photo Argus is a great resource for all photographers, novice to advanced, and every day, they post a variety of incredible, eye catching photo galleries and how to tips. If you need daily inspiration, follow The Photo Argus.
4. blackstar: If you care about your place in the photography business, follow Blackstar. Every day, the venerable NYC based photo agency posts links to valuable industry related blog posts, articles and professional from such expert as John Harrington, Jim Pickerell and Paul Melcher.
5. Pdnonline: This a no-brainer. Photo District News is the professional’s source for photo industry news and information. If you’re a photographer, you should follow pdnonline in order to stay updated on what’s going on in your industry.
6. Beyondmegapixel: This site is more geared towards the photo enthusiast rather than the pro. They tweet a variety of articles, image galleries, product and service reviews, inspirational links and monthly photo challenges all geared towards helping people become better and more well rounded digital photographers.
7. outdoorphotomag: The official Twitter feed of Outdoor Photographer, the premier magazine about outdoor photography. If you like to shoot landscapes, nature, wildlife, sports and travel, then outdoorphotomag’s tweets should provide you with plenty of inspiration and information.
8. digitalps: Digital Photography School is a full featured website that helps people learn the art of digital photography. They tweet daily links to free tips, tutorials and assignments that are all geared toward the photo enthusiast and aspiring pro.
9. Popphoto: Popular Photography magazine’s official Twitter feed. They provide a variety of industry news, reviews, Photo of the Day tweets, and photography related rticles. Follow them to stay up on new gear and enter giveaways.
10. Danbaileyphoto: Yes, that’s me with a shameless plug. Hey, why not, it’s my blog post, right? Follow me. I tweet a regular dose of outdoor and photography news, links to professional articles, links to my Photoletariat posts as well as a variety of introspective interjections, professional insight and brand new imagery.
And when you’ve digested this group, check out 10 more photo related sites you should be following on Twitter.
Dan Bailey is a professional adventure, outdoor and travel photographer based in Anchorage, Alaska. Follow his own blog at danbaileyphoto.com/blog and see his daily updates at facebook.com/danbaileyphoto.